- Division celebrates ten years of animation and digital art with anniversary DVD and screening at DADA-First Look screening DGA cinema complex.
- MFA and minor curriculum is updated and and a new BA in animation and digital arts is designed, created and approved.
- The Division receives a 125th grant to host a science -art weekend at the Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies organized through Smith’s CTAN 524 Contemporary Topics in Animation & Digital Arts class.
- “Bike-In Movies” is curated and produced by Lisa Mann and Newtown Arts celebrating the work of DADA students and faculty also supported through the 125th grants.
- New adjunct faculty join the Division including Marcel Valcarce, Dariush Derakshani, Larissa Bank, RT Taylor,Will Weston and Daniel Robichaud.
Dariush Derakhshani is a Creative Director and CG Supervisor with Radium in Santa Monica and an award-winning CG animator and author of several Maya books, including the best-selling series Introducing Maya: 3D for Beginners and Maya: Secrets of the Pros. Dariush has been an animator and supervisor on commercials and feature films for the past 10 years at such places as Café FX, Cobalt FX, and Sight Effects.
Dariush has an MFA in Film, TV and Computer Animation from USC Film School and has been teaching Maya and animation classes in Los Angeles for the past six years for schools like USC, Art Institute of Ca., and Gnomon. Dariush is the Editor in Chief of HDRI3d Magazine and has been publishing tutorials, articles, and books on Maya for the past four years in such publications as Post, CGW, 3D World, DigitalMediaNet.com, and AWN.com.
He was inducted into the Visual Effects Society this year and has won the 2003 London Advertising Award for commercial effects, the Bronze Plaque from the Columbus Film Festival, a graduate fellowship from Paramount Pictures and shares other accolades from the London International Advertising Festival and the AICP (American Independent Commercial Producers).
He is bald and has flat feet.